Netflix has acquired global streaming rights to Hush, the new thriller from director Mike Flanagan – whose Oculus grossed $44 million on a $5 million budget.
Hush follows Maddie, an author who lost her hearing in her teens, as she tries to break free of her self-imposed isolation when a masked face appears in her window one night.
Hush stars John Gallagher Jr. (“The Newsroom”), Kate Siegel (Oculus), Michael Trucco (“Battlestar Galactica”) and Samantha Sloyan (“Grey’s Anatomy”) and has its World Premiere at SXSW on Saturday, March 12th. It premieres on Netflix on April 18th. For further details, follow the jump.
- Netflix has acquired worldwide streaming rights to Mike Flanagan’s (Oculus) Hush, starring John Gallagher Jr. (“The Newsroom”), Kate Siegel (Oculus), Michael Trucco (“Battlestar Galactica”) and Samantha Sloyan (“Grey’s Anatomy”).
- The horror thriller will make its World Premiere at SXSW this Saturday, March 12th and will be available globally on Netflix beginning April 8th.
- Siegel penned the script with Flanagan. Intrepid Pictures’ Trevor Macy and Blumhouse Productions’ Jason Blum produced the film, with Michael J. Fourticq Sr., Jeanette Brill, Kate Lumpkin and Couper Samuelson executive producing.
- After losing her hearing as a teenager, author Maddie Young (Siegel) has lived a life of isolation fully retreating into her now silent world. When the masked face of a psychotic killer appears in the window of her secluded home, she must push herself beyond her mental and physical limits in order to survive the night.
- “We’re excited that Netflix is our platform to connect this movie with audiences around the globe,” said Intrepid Pictures’ Trevor Macy.
- Blumhouse Productions’ Jason Blum said, “Hush is a great example of what happens when you give an incredible filmmaker like Mike Flanagan creative freedom to tell a fun and original scary story. We had a great time continuing our relationship with Mike and Intrepid and are psyched to share Mike’s movie with genre lovers all over the world on Netflix.”
- Hush is the latest collaboration between Flanagan, Intrepid Pictures and Blumhouse. Flanagan wrote and directed Oculus for Macy’s Intrepid which Blumhouse acquired at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival, and co-wrote and is directing Blumhouse’s Ouija 2, the sequel to the company’s 2014 micro-budget horror hit which grossed over $100m worldwide. Blum is producing and Flanagan’s collaborator Macy joined the film in a producer capacity.