I swear, it’s amazing how an Apple Keynote gets so much hype and every time, I come away completely under whelmed. I’m going to have a full on rant about how much I think tech journalist, especially bloggers lose whatever minimal credibility they have whenever Apple has one of these events. I mean the noise machine is so over the top that it’s a marvel to watch. And I always feel like I’m screaming against the wind. Did you know there are other laptop makers out there besides freaking Apple? And today, in the storm that is an Apple Keynote event, Toshiba unwisely announced their new crop of laptops. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear, does it make a sound? That’s what happens when other companies try and make an announcement during Keynote week. I’m not quite sure how these are materially different than the last models. As a general rule, I like Toshiba machines – love the speakers on them and the beautiful black finish. But they are bulky and they are one of the worst offenders of pre-installing bloatware. Check out some of these shots and the official press release is after the break.
The new Toshiba Satellite U405, Satellite M305, Satellite M305D, Satellite A355 and Satellite A305 models provide consumers with myriad options in terms of screen size, weight, storage size and capabilities, while being equally built upon the Satellite brand foundation of quality, versatility, reliability and affordability.
These Satellite laptop series have a useful technology feature-set, stylish design characteristics and cutting-edge computing advancements that meet the needs of families, students and small businesses in terms of entertainment, productivity and personal expression. Features that can be found within the Satellite laptop series include:
· Toshiba Face Recognition: Each Satellite laptop is equipped with Toshiba Face Recognition software, an innovative feature that offers users a fun and convenient way to access their computers using an embedded Webcam.
· USB Sleep-and-Charge Ports1: Users can charge their portable electronic devices such as MP3 players, mobile phones, digital cameras and PDAs with Sleep-and-Charge USB ports, whether the laptop is powered-on, off or in hibernation mode.
· Fusion finish with Horizon design: A stunning, high-gloss Fusion finish with Horizon design sets the Satellite brand apart from the competition with its bold and appealing look.
· Feather-Touch multimedia control buttons: A collection of touch-sensitive LED multimedia controls add a stroke of elegance while making it easier for users to access their DVD/CD media at the touch of a button.
· eSATA Combo Port: Select Satellite models are equipped with an eSATA port, which enables the high-speed transfer of files between the laptop and an external hard drive with transfer rates up to five times faster that standard USB 2.0.
· Built-in FM Tuner: Select Satellite models include a built-in FM tuner, which allows users to enjoy their favorite FM radio broadcasts directly from their Satellite laptop.
· ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™: Select models of the Satellite series are available with ATI Hybrid CrossFireX graphics2, which deliver an ideal blend of discrete and integrated graphics to help gaming and movie viewing appear more vivid, exciting and realistic.