Cineplex Entertainment has announced that – due to overwhelming public demand through advance ticket sales – it has increased screens available for Star Wars: The Force Awakens by 50% and added a third block of tickets amounting to 160 additional showtimes at 115 theaters across Canada.
Details follow the break.
Unprecedented Demand for Star Wars: The Force Awakens Advance Tickets Prompts Cineplex to Release Additional Showtimes Across Canada
50% More Screens Released on Cineplex.com and Cineplex’s Mobile App
Toronto, ON – December 10, 2015 (TSX: CGX) – A week out from the film’s official release, Cineplex Entertainment (“Cineplex”) announced today that it is seeing unprecedented demand for advanced tickets to Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Canada. As a result, additional showtimes have been added for opening weekend in communities across the country.
“Canadian fans are feeling the Force so we’re releasing a third block of tickets and adding 50 per cent more screens,” said Ellis Jacob, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cineplex Entertainment. “That amounts to an additional 160 additional showtimes of Star Wars: The Force Awakens at 115 theatres across Canada.”
Star Wars Fast Facts and Highlights
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens on Friday, December 18, 2015 with advance shows on December 17, 2015
- Cineplex anticipates it will host hundreds of thousands of Canadians at approximately 500 screens over opening weekend
- On opening weekend, Cineplex anticipates Star Wars fans will consume over five million cups of popcorn and nine million ounces of pop – that’s the equivalent of nearly 750,000 cans or 133,000 2-litres bottles
- Seven of Cineplex’s theatres will be hosting ‘24 Hours of Star Wars’ events, with special screenings scheduled around the clock in Vancouver and Richmond (BC), Calgary and Edmonton (AB), Toronto (ON), and Montreal and Quebec City (QC)
- Cineplex will host ‘Star Wars Marathon Events’ in five communities across Canada, playing all six previous movies back-to-back leading into the premier of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The marathon begins 4:45 AM local time on December 17 and runs over 20 straight hours
- Fans are encouraged to enhance their Star Wars experience by wearing costumes at theatres across Canada, but props and toys that could become tripping hazards or impair vision in a theatre are best left at home. Guests are prohibited from wearing masks or carrying toy weapons of any kind
Fans are encouraged to go to Cineplex.com or visit their local Box Office to get their tickets to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens, attend a ‘24 Hours of Star Wars’ screening or Marathon Event. #StarWars fans can also join #TheForceAwakens conversation online with Cineplex on Facebook (Facebook.com/Cineplex), Twitter (@CineplexMovies) and Instagram (@CineplexMovies).
Lucasfilm and visionary director J.J. Abrams join forces to take you back again to a galaxy far, far away as Star Wars returns to the big screen with Star Wars: The Force Awakens. To view the film’s trailer or for theatre locations and show times visit Cineplex.com/StarWars.