ABC has announced the dates for its season finales. Meanwhile, I’m still trying to figure out the appeal of Shark Tank and Wipeout. The complete list follows the jump.
She’s been a success on film and in the recording studio – and has played one of the ultimate divas, Wilhelmina Slater on ABC’s recently cancelled Ugly Betty. Now Vanessa Williams is moving to Fairview’s infamous Wisteria Lane for the seventh season of Desperate Housewives.
What kind of havoc/mischief/mayhem will she wreak as the newest housewife on the block? Only series creator Marc Cherry knows for sure – but you can count the new woman on the block to be something other than restrained and genteel [at least, beneath the surface…].
Fans and viewers of Desperate Housewives who missed seeing sexy gardner John Rowlands gracing Wisteria Lane can rejoice. Industry reports tell us that Jesse Metcalfe has signed on to return to Desperate Housewives in the upcoming season.
In the first season of Desperate Housewives, Rowland, had a steamy and illicit romance with Gabriele Solis (Eva Longoria Parker), Since then Metcalfe has made several cameo appearances in other seasons.
Creator Marc Cherry had this to say when he was speaking to TVGuide Magazine about the character’s return to the hit series. “We will be seeing John Rowland return to Wisteria Lane as a divorced man who is doing well in a different industry”.
Cherry also added: “When Ana (Maiara Malsh) finds out that Gabrielle had an affair with John, she sets her sights on him, which upsets Gabrielle.”
Metcalfe is expected to appear in the third and fourth episodes of the sixth season.
ABC today announced the early pickup of an even dozen series: six each of scripted and unscripted programs.
Scripted series pickups go to: Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, Lost, Private Practice and Ugly Betty.
Unscripted series pickups include: America’s Funniest Home Videos, The Bachelor, Dancing With the Stars, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Supernanny and Wife Swap.
The 2009-10 season of Lost, its sixth, will mark the conclusion of one of the best television dramas of all time, while America’s Funniest Home Videos will be entering its 20th season.
Starting today, ABC.com begins rolling out a wide array of new interactive digital features for many of ABC’s most popular primetime series, including Dancing with the Stars, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy and Ugly Betty.
Site highlights include:
· Wisteria Lane Virtual Tour — Sponsored by Lexus, this interactive tour of the Desperate Housewives set allows fans to get an up-close peek into the homes of their favorite Wisteria Lane residents. Fans will be able to click on hot spots found throughout the houses, zooming in on certain features and objects to find details about the series’ characters and storylines, as well as information about Lexus vehicles featured on the show.
· Design a Dance Contest – This feature combines user-generated submissions and weekly polls to allow Dancing with the Stars fans to contribute to a special on-air dance segment based on viewer-selected elements including the dancing couple, style of dance, music and costumes.
· Mode Magazine Online – An online version of Mode Magazine (from Ugly Betty) that is updated with new content each week.
· Dr. Sydney Heron’s Healing with Love blog – Using submissions of the viewers of Grey’s Anatomy, this blog features “tongue-in-cheek” advice and self-help strategies from the Seattle Grace resident
· Life on Mars Interactive Poll – Fans place themselves in Detective Sam Tyler’s shoes when they’re confronted with a series of situations that test how well they would fare living in 1973 versus 2008.
· Life on Mars 1973 Computer Electronic Game – Fans play a vintage computer game that features segments containing trivia and factoids about the year 1973.
· How Well Do You Know Me? Quiz – Viewers of Opportunity Knocks have the opportunity to find out how well their friends, family and co-workers really know them – by challenging them to answer ten simple questions about their habits, likes and dislikes. Users can see which family members, friends and co-workers know them best on their personal leader board, and can compete to have the highest ranking on the ABC leader board by having the most people take the challenge.
· Personality Quizzes – Fans can learn which characters from their favorite shows they’re most like through a variety of quizzes. Shows include Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Dirty Sexy Money, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Samantha Who? and Ugly Betty.
The site offers a multitude of other features, including games, trivia, message boards and a library of over 2,000 pieces of short-form content related to ABC’s popular primetime lineup. ABC.com is also home to a new Ugly Betty webisode series, Mode After Hours, featuring Marc (Michael Urie) and Amanda (Becki Newton) in different adventures at the Mode office after the work day is done and everyone has left. Original webisode series are also planned for Brothers & Sisters and Scrubs.
This evening the new fall season of television programming begins with two returning series on The CW [Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill], one on TNT [Steven Bochco’s inept Raising the Bar] and one on Fox [Prison Break]. Overall, the new season looks a lot like the last one. Thanks to the writers’ strike, a number of series that might have been cancelled are reappearing, series like Life, Eli Stone, Pushing Daisies, Chuck and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles to name a few. Add to them the few buzzworthy new shows [Fringe, The Mentalist, and Eleventh Hour] and it still doesn’t add up to the anticipation for Fox’s Joss Whedon-created Dollhouse. Which is not to say that there aren’t points of interest on the fall schedule.
With the end of the writers’ strike all but signed, sealed and delivered, ABC is the first network out of the box in terms of announcing early pickups for the ‘08-‘09 with nine series getting the good news.