Let me start by saying, I’m really digging the commercial for Glee and the new Geico Caveman commercial. Now on to Idol, I’m not going to waste a lot of verbiage tonight but I will say it was a real interesting night. It seemed like Adam knows that he has it in the bag and he’s playing it completely safe tonight. I will partially take back what I’ve been saying all season, Adam can sing. But in the low ranges, he loses me when goes into the full on screaming/screeching mode. Each contestant does 3 songs and the script goes about as I expected, only Simon was right in his assessments, I can’t fault him tonight.
- Adam opens strong with an amazing version of Mad World and knocks it out of the park. He looked fantastic, had the smoke happening and sounded great. Grade A
- Adam’s next song was A Change is Going to Come, he did a great job in the low range but lost his way on the high points. Grade B-
- The last song was weird, both contestants have to do the same song written by Kara DioGuardi and it was an absolute train wreck. The song is AWFUL, Adam finally left the Judges speechless and not in a good way. Simon had the gall to say HE wasn’t going to Judge Adam on the basis of that Song, but on his performance throughout the season. WTF was that? Does this mean they are officially saying Idol is fixed, that because Adam blew the song, they are going to rig the vote? They built Kara up all season as this awesome songwriter and that’s what she came up with? For Adam, The Judges and Especially Kara, an Epic F.
Then there was little Meek Kris who had a surprisingly weird night as well.
- He opened great with Ain’t No Sunshine, his voice strength surprised me and his piano playing was good, he was in tune, oozed passion, just a great performance. Most life I’ve seen from him all season. Grade A
- His second song of the night was an absolute train wreck (yeah, I need to learn a new description), I mean Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On?” It’s a brave choice, but actually should have been a great match. But his performance had no passion, it was way too laid back for the song and it doesn’t work with a guitar. Simon described it best when he said it was like 3 friends sitting in a bedroom strumming along. What was he thinking? Grade D
- His last song was the awful Kara song, No Boundaries and amazingly enough, I thought he did great, totally blew Adam out of the water. The Judges reaction totally ticked me off. They just didn’t want to admit that Kris was better than Adam. Kara’s comment that she wasn’t going to Judge him on the song she freaking WROTE!!? What is that? Simon didn’t want to compliment him either so he also said the same thing he said to Adam, we’re going to judge you based on the season. What a cop out to all of them. Just horrible judging throughout the season and tonight they just sealed it after Adam blew the last song. Grade A
There were so many different things wrong with having Kara write the final song, not only does it seem like there’s a conflict of interest. It’d be one thing if the song was she ended up writing was good or great, but when the song Sucks they change their judging criteria to we’re not going to base it on the Song, but the entire body of work? Nevermind that for the previous 6 years it was always “You have to be ready to wow, us Every night.” Also what was the point of having them both sing the same stupid song? In the past the Top 2 sung a different original song each. The one thing having them both sing the same song did was show clearly who was a better pure singer and unfortunately for Adam and the Judges it was Kris.
Kris won the night, Adam started out amazing but went downhill and I find myself really wanting him to win now because I think he would be a fun Idol once he’s set lose.